DIY Homemade Skincare Recipes
DIY Coconut Lotion – Professional Natural Cosmetic Formulation Guide For Beginners
DIY Coconut Lotion – Easy Professional Natural Cosmetic Formulation Guide For Beginners
Thanks for being a part of our formulation squad. Lately, we are getting requests from some of our members to include DIY in our formulation projects.
To satisfy these beginner formulator, we have decided to start doing a series of DIY projects so that upcoming formulators can catch up with the exciting thing we are doing on this website.
In this simple formulation guide, I will give you a simple Do it Yourself Coconut Lotion Formula and the step by step instruction to make it a reality at home.
We are using 6 simple ingredients and distilled water.
Before I present the formulation guide, I will explain some important concept to all beginner formulators.
To make lotion and most skincare products, we have 3 phases, the oil phase, the water phase and the cool down phase.
Now let’s explore these phases one by one.
WATER PHASE OF LOTION MAKING
This is the phase where you add your distilled water, gum and other ingredients together in preparation for lotion making.
OIL PHASE OF LOTION MAKING
This is where you add your emulsifier (the core ingredient that helps you to mix oil with water), oils and other essential ingredients together
COOL DOWN PHASE OF LOTION MAKING
This is where you add your heat sensitive ingredients like essential oils, heat sensitive oils and botanical extracts.
Don’t stress yourself about these phases, it is something everyone most know before proceeding.
HOW DO YOU MAKE LOTION
We make lotion using the process of oil in water emulsion (Where we add oil to water using an emulsifier and homogenize it). We perform this by adding the content of Beaker A to Beaker B (This is common in most of our formulas). You will learn more about this as time goes on.
Now get your formulation worksheet ready and let’s get to work. We will be making 100g of this lotion.
WATER PHASE INGREDIENTS
- Distilled Water – 77.5g
- Xanthan Gum – 0.5g
- Glycerin – 5g
OIL PHASE INGREDIENTS
- Coconut Oil -10g
- Emulsifying Wax – 5g
COOL DOWN PHASE INGREDIENTS
- Lavender Essential Oil – 1g
- Preservative Eco aka Geogard ECT – 1g
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE COCONUT OIL LOTION
- Mix water phase ingredients together in a strong beaker – Beaker A
- To properly mix water phase ingredients follow the step in 3 below
- Measure Glycerin in a beaker, add xanthan gum to it and blend well, then add distilled water and mix well. (This is all you need in Beaker A)
- Mix oil phase ingredients in another beaker – Beaker B
- Heat Beaker A and Beaker B in a double boiler or water bath. (Watch the video below for demonstration)
- Add the content of Beaker B to Beaker A and mix well using an immersion blender (mix for 3 minutes, pulse and mix for another 3 minutes)
- Allow content to cool down to 40 degree Celsius , then add cool down phase ingredients one by one and mix well.
Watch the video below for demonstration.
DIY COCONUT LOTION FORMULATION VIDEO